Friday, March 18, 2016

Hi everyone,

I forgot to post that my break was last week, so: my break was last week. It was nice to not hunch over my tablet for a while, but I did feel a little anxious about my progress. This project is about halfway over but it isn’t halfway finished. I think this is partly because I keep finding myself spending time on parts of the process that aren’t actual animation, like drawing lots of different backgrounds and objects and experimenting with character design. Today I spent two hours messing with brush settings on Photoshop without even realizing it.
here are some tree type things, plus everyone's favorite, mushrooms
At this point I’m fairly sure that my animation won’t be as long as I projected in December. I do still have many weeks left, but I know my pace won’t match up with my original end goal. For some context on why I think this, two years ago I spent a month taking art classes at Otis College, and I spent 24 hours a week animating with a professor present to help me with each little problem that cropped up. I made several short animations, but none longer than one minute and all very simple. This was the first animation I ever made:


I don't even have the actual video, just this extremely shaky video I found on my phone. That animation was meant to exemplify stretch and squash, one of the basic principles of animation (I only got halfway to making the circle into frog before I had to move on, so I forgive you if you can’t tell what it is). Here’s another short that’s slightly easier to parse:


 Now I’m committing less hours per week than I was while at Otis, and I’m also using a drawing tablet rather than a Cintiq, which is a bit harder for me to adjust to. But the main reason is that my interests have shifted. Usually when I make art, I don’t like to plan it out. I mentioned before that I chose to make my color script less detailed because I didn’t want to tire out my ideas. That happens often when I make thumbnail sketches or plan projects, and this was the most planned art piece I’ve ever undertaken. I’m not surprised that I’ve gotten sidetracked by the individual aspects of this project (mostly character and background design), and I haven’t lost enthusiasm, but I do wish I could’ve kept my momentum going. However, I’m actually not too disappointed because I’m still intrigued by all the facets of my project. I’m also very glad to learn all of this about myself now rather than after, say, deciding to major in animation. Of course, I’m not going to stop animating, but I think the end result will be more exploratory and experimental than I previously intended.

6 comments:

  1. Hello to you as well. Nice. So was mine. I am glad that your back got a break. That's ok, mine isn't halfway done either. Experimentation is ok at this stage in your life. I don't know what brush settings are, but sounds fascinating nonetheless. I like your trees and your mushrooms.

    How long did you project your animation to be in December? You still have a good amount of weeks left. Where is Otis College? Sometimes simple is better. I like the first animation you ever made.

    I think the shaky video adds so much to the authenticity of your blog. I'll have you know that I recognized the object as a frog immediately. The second short you mentioned does not appear at all, just so that you are aware of this moderately concerning issue.

    What is a Cintiq? Like I said before, it is perfectly normal at this stage in your life for your interests to shift. Spontaneity is delightful. Yes, I do recall that you mentioned the lack of detail in your color script. I love the word undertaken. It's commendable that you have not lost enthusiasm under the circumstances. I also enjoy the word facets. You are still young, and learning about yourself is very important right now. Exploration and experimentation at this stage is perfectly normal and perhaps even commendable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you just went through and commented line by line that's how I'm going to respond. Brush settings are the opacity, shape, size, hardness, etc of the brush. Thanks. I think I had said I expected the length to be at least 5 minutes at the start. Otis college is in LA, it's right by a park, a psychic, and a KFC. It actually doesn't have any dorms so I got to stay in an apartment like a baller. Thanks. I realize that the second video doesn't appear but I can't do anything about it, sorry. A Cintiq is a tablet that shows you what you are drawing (whereas I have a tablet that I draw on while looking at my laptop). I am impartial to the word undertaken. Thanks for validating me.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post this week. I appreciate your honesty and self-reflection! Is the way you approach your art similar to how you approach other things in life? The go-with-the-flow, see where things take you approach?

    My favorite tree is the one on the left, looks a bit like cotton candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find it much easier to write these posts when I just explain what I'm thinking, so I guess that does come across fairly honest. And I think I do approach life the same way, to some extent. It's definitely harder to be without a plan in life than in art, but it's true that I'm reluctant/just plain bad at scheduling things and committing to long-term plans.

      Delete
  3. That frog is killer despite the lack of details(I also appreciate the mushrooms above it). Seems like all is well despite your mentioned problems with completing the project exactly as originally planned ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is well on my end, hopefully BASIS isn't too put off by my redirections from my proposal.

      Delete