Friday, February 12, 2016

Character and Background Roughs

Hello again everyone!

This week I began to hammer out the basics of my plot and how settings will relate to it. Before I start hemming and hawing over colors, I think I ought to know what exactly I’ll be coloring, which means I’ve spent the last few days sketching my pencil down to a nub. 

First came the characters. I had already decided that my protagonist will be a monster—not that that narrowed my visual options at all. A monster can be anything or anyone, from the bright and cutesy cast of Monsters, Inc. to the dramatic illustrations of Lovecraftian horror to a regular person. If anything, I felt more spoiled for choice after making that decision than before. 

I was able to create many loose potential designs by reminding myself that even if I thought I made a mistake, quirks and jagged lines made the characters more interesting. After all, it’s fairly impossible to draw a monster wrong.

I was partly inspired by an assignment given to fifth and sixth graders by Ms. Hardy, who teaches both lower and upper school art class. Whenever students finished a project early, she asked them to draw a monster. In my months as a teacher’s assistant, I saw dozens of wildly varied drawings: waffle soldiers, three-eyed evil forks, and lots of weird unquantifiable things. The specific, detailed oddities of these sketches had been turning over in the back of my head for most of this year, and when the time came to begin this research project, I was unsurprised to find myself fixated on monsters.

Here are my some of my early character sketches:



Whenever I found myself getting too knotted up in character design, I rerouted and worked on environments instead. Backgrounds are extremely influential on mood, but many people I know seem to overlook their importance. To get my head in the game, I went back to basics and re-watched some of my favorite animated movies, focusing on the background paintings. Sleeping Beauty stood out for its immediately recognizable and illustrative landscape style, but The Land Before Time takes the cake for its deftly framed scenes and careful, beautiful, and precise use of color. That's what I'll be working towards in my own animation.

Now that I have a grasp on the forms and shapes that will be populating my short film, I’m ready to factor in color. In the coming week, my next step will be the creation of a colorscript, which is essentially a colored storyboard that will allow me to see how all of the scenes look together. 

Until then.

Rachel

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. At first I wasn't sure I did, but your reassurance really assuaged my fears.

      Delete
    2. Excellent. That's always my ultimate goal. Assuage your fears. Assuage them.

      Delete
    3. Excellent. That's another of my ultimate goals. Achieve your goals. Yes. Achieve them.

      Delete
  2. Did you know that my parents were going to name my brother Thor but he was born early and he was very small so they decided that Quince was better because the definition for Quince in the baby name book was 'a strange little fruit' and he was small and strange?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoy The Land Before Time. Your early character sketches are fascinating. I particularly appreciate the walrus. How are you planning on coming up with the plot for your animation? Do you currently have any specifics? Also, how are you going to decide which scenes to include, since your animation is going to be shorter than most full length films?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to plan everything out so I'm not overwhelmed with tons of scenes, but making those decisions was honestly a pretty subjective and arbitrary process. By now I know the major plot points, so there's some things I have to include and I'm working around those. I don't want to spoil anything, but I'll say that it starts explosively.

      Delete
  4. Yay, Rachel! Looks great, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your monsters sketches are mad cool. Totally random question, but what was your favorite animated movie you watched this week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I most enjoyed feasting my eyes on Shrek.

      Delete
  6. After you mentioned thinking about environments, I grew curious to see exactly how you would draw the environments for your own film, so hopefully we can see some of that in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After you mentioned thinking about environments, I grew curious to see exactly how you would draw the environments for your own film, so hopefully we can see some of that in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete